Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Screencast - Educreations

For my screencast, I used Educreations.  I chose to teach the grammar skill for the week, comparing adjectives using more and most.  It took me a few tries to get the recording right (there doesn't seem to be a undo or "back" button for recording), but overall, I was pleased with how it turned out.  It worked well to take a screen shot of the grammar worksheet from the Wonders book to use for a few slides.  I had the slides ready to go so that I could annotate them as I recorded the video. https://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/u5w4-grammar-more-or-most/30115912/?s=5hs2Qs&ref=app

I had students watch the screencast during independent work time during guided reading groups.  I made a jump code (PCOV) to it as well as posting it on our 4th grade website.   I had them use headphones to watch and listen.  At the end, for formative assessment, I had them write a sentence that included a comparison statement.  I had them turn in the sentence that was written on a notecard, and  I was able to give them immediate feedback. I would definitely do something like that each time. The students seemed to enjoy watching the video, and 4 minutes was a good length of time.

All in all, it worked well!  I would consider trying it again.  I don't think I could assign it as homework like in the flipped classroom video because not all of my students have internet access at home, but it did work to use during independent work time.  I could see using this process to teach a math lesson, especially if a skill needs to be pretaught.


No comments:

Post a Comment